Between 80 and 90% of our life is typically spent inside buildings. Their design, systems materials and operations directly
affect our health, wellbeing and productivity
As described elsewhere Passivhaus deals with new Homes and Buildings and EnerPHit with existing Homes and Buildings.
There is growing recognition that to be truly effective, a building or home will need to succeed across two interrelated domains: environmental sustainability and human wellbeing.
The internal environment of an office, school, university or home, etc. is one where we spend so much of our time, and research has shown that the materials used to build and furnish the building is a major contributor to the wellbeing and quality of life for the occupants.
At Integrity we believe that the links between Green/Passivhaus buildings and Company Performance can be shown as follows:
At Integrity we believe that green technologies and design strategy such as Passivhaus, will enhance the interior environmental quality and consequently be more conductive to wellbeing and productivity, Passivhaus building features that are likely to influence indoor environmental quality include:
- Advanced ventilation and mechanical heat recovery systems, such as our “Green-Cube” to increase air flow and reduce air borne microbial agents (living organisms that include bacteria, most algae and some fungi’s),
- Selection of building materials and furnishings that have low toxicity,
- Increased use of day light to reduce energy demands and enhance interior lighting,
- Inclusion of high quality, energy efficient lighting, reduces computer glare and increase visual comfort,
- Reduced use of resources, especially energy and water,
- Commissioning and re-commissioning to ensure the building operates correctly, and
- Greater attention to construction, renewable resources, maintenance and operation.
The potential connections between green buildings(such as Passivhaus) and overall organisational success are still in their formative stages; nonetheless, case studies (mainly USA, Austria and Germany) as well as theoretical consideration suggest multiple links that can be viewed as “reducing costs” or “adding value”. These include:
- • Product quality,
- • Employee retention
- • Customer satisfaction,
- • Quality of work life,
- • Capacity for innovation,
- • Operational efficiency,
- • Social responsibility,
- • Perceived value of goods or services,
- • Enhanced community standing,
- • Enhanced relationship with stakeholders
- • Resource efficiency,
- • Reduced operating costs, and
- • Improved ability to market to pro-environmental consumers.
From a business perspective, can green buildings (Passivhaus/EnerPHit) affect high-level organisational outcomes, such as profitability, employee and customer satisfaction? At Integrity we strongly believe that our standard coupled with carefully selected sustainable materials and solutions are relevant to business interests across the full spectrum of concerns, from portfolio issues (resale and rent value, etc.) to enhanced quality of wellbeing and productivity. The benefits gained will enhance your ability to rent or sell space and at a higher premium. Companies are thinking of their buildings as a way to achieve strategic goals, sustainability is rapidly becoming a strategic asset for the future
Passivhaus deals mainly with energy savings, with the filters contained within our mechanical heat recovery systems, assisting amongst others asthma sufferers. At Integrity we are looking at materials and innovative solutions that focuses on the occupant’s health and wellbeing, beyond that of clean filtered air to materials such as clay boards to replace plasterboards, etc. We are looking at natural glues and materials to assist us in using less plastic based products.
Our respect for traditional techniques and materials does not hinder us from using modern materials and techniques, where their use is sustainable, environmentally friendly and where possible natural and healthy materials.
The above mainly deals with commercial interests, but at Integrity we firmly believe that families benefit also from firstly our filtered fresh air with its asthma benefits, to those gained from natural materials designed and built within their homes.
Finally as our Logo states: